About a year and a half ago I began to notice that my harp wasn’t staying in tune. At first it was so subtle that I just thought it must have been the weather that was messing with it. But it started getting worse and worse and I noticed that the bottom of the soundboard was separating from the base :O Talk about having a sick feeling in your stomach! My one comfort was that I still had my smaller Troubadour harp…but it just isn’t the same. I had visions of having a harp as a decoration in our flower garden.
First I emailed Venus Harps (since they made it) but they wouldn’t tell me anything until I came to Chicago for them to look it over 😛 Next I emailed my former harp teacher and she referred me to ‘The Harp Doctor’. He was much more helpful and knew right off what the problem was.
So Daddy and I took a trip to Ball State where the harp doctor was fixing harps. It was going to cost more than the harp was worth for me to pay him (the doctor) to fix it, so the purpose of our trip was so that the harp doctor could show Daddy how to fix my harp 😀
I listened intently as he began to go over what was necessary to take the harp apart and fix it. I didn’t want to forget anything. Daddy is wonderful with detail anyway, but I thought it couldn’t hurt to pay attention 😀
The more Mr. Wiley (the harp doctor) told Daddy, the less I was sure I wanted to watch Daddy take it apart when the time came 😀 One thing comforted me…Daddy is very careful and precise when it comes to things like this, so I knew I could trust him with my favorite harp. By the time he was finished though, I decided I was going to be there when he did all of this so that I could take pictures and see how this thing works 😀
D is for Daddy…super-wonderful-harp-fixer-Daddy that is 😀 This is actually the troublesome piece that was coming unglued…literally. It is at the inside base of the harp and is what everything glues and screws into.
Looking into the belly of the whale…er…harp 😀
Blowing out some of the dust and dirt from the soundboard.
The harp isn’t done yet, so I’ll definitely be posting more pictures on the progress of the harp 🙂 He did get the piece glued back in and now we’re letting it cure good and long…as in, a week at least 🙂 It doesn’t have to cure that long but we decided the longer the better. I’m not sure how many pounds of pressure is put on that piece, but I know it’s a bunch!
And thus is the beginning of the repairing of the harp 😀
Subscribe to get our blog posts in your inbox!